Later today the NFL draft will begin and it could be a huge year for former Tennessee Volunteer players. We’ve projected that 8 former Vols will be drafted this weekend, quite a feat for a team that went 5-7 last season.
Tennessee should have at least one player drafted in the first round tonight, if not two.
The Vols are tied for 7th all time with 43 first round draft picks, but they haven’t had a player drafted in the first round since 2010. Tennessee is all 7th also time with 330 draft selections total.
The 2013 NFL Draft will begin tonight at 8:00 pm est and continue until Saturday. The draft will be simulcast on ESPN and NFL Network. Pre-draft coverage on NFL Network will begin at 1:00 pm est today.
Here’s a quick recap of our projections of former Vols that we expect to be drafted.
- Cordarrelle Patterson — 1st round to the St. Louis Rams (22nd overall selection)
- Justin Hunter — 2nd round to the Carolina Panthers (44th overall selection)
- Da’Rick Rogers — 2nd round to the Baltimore Ravens (62nd overall selection)
- Dallas Thomas — 3rd round to the Jacksonville Jaguars (66th overall selection)
- Tyler Bray — 4th round to the Pittsburgh Steelers (115th overall selection)
- Mychal Rivera — 5th round to the Miami Dolphins (166th overall selection)
- Zach Rogers — 7th round to the New England Patriots (226th overall selection)
- Ben Bartholomew — 7th round to the Tennessee Titans (248th overall selection)
Don’t forget to check out our first round mock to see how many picks we get right, or how many we get wrong.
As you can see from our above projections we’ve yet to project the draft position of a former Vol correctly, here’s an update as to where the Vols drafted so far have landed.
- Cordarrelle Patterson — Drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round with the 29th overall pick
- Justin Hunter — Drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the second round with the 34th overall pick
- Dallas Thomas — Drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the third round with the 77th overall pick
We’ll be updating this post with live updates and commentary on former Vols in the NFL draft, as well as former SEC players.
8:18 Eric Fisher, a player recruited by Butch Jones, goes first overall to the Chiefs.
8:34 Luke Joeckel is the first SEC player drafted when the Jaguars select him.
9:19 Dee Milliner becomes third SEC player taken in draft. Milliner was selected with the 9th pick by the Jets.
10:12 Former Georgia Bulldog Jarvis Jones goes 17th overall to the Pittsburgh Steelers
11:30 Cordarrelle Patterson becomes the first Vol off the board when the Vikings take him with the 29th pick
Day One Notes:
- 12 SEC players were taken in the first round
- 9 offensive linemen taken in first round
- 0 running backs taken in first round
- Only 5 offensive skilled positions taken in first round
- 3 consecutive Alabama players selected (Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker) with the 9th, 10th and 11th picks
6:42 pm Justin Hunter becomes the second Vol off the board when the Titans select him in the second round with the 34th overall pick
6:55 pm The second SEC player of the day is drafted by the Lions with the 36th pick when they take Mississippi Stat DB Darius Slay
7:24 pm Jonathan Banks, former DB from Mississippi State, goes to Tampa Bay at the 43rd overall pick. (Bucs traded for Revis earlier this week)
7:33 pm Kevin Minter, LB from LSU, becomes 4th SEC player taken on day 2 when the Cardinals take him with the 45th overall pick
7:51 pm NC State DB David Amerson goes 51st overall to the Redskins. Amerson’s stock dropped after the first game of the season last year against Tennessee
8:12 pm The Baltimore Ravens select Kansas State LB Arthur Brown with the 56th overall pick. Brown is the older brother of former Tennessee RB Bryce Brown
8:17 pm Former South Carolina DB DJ Swearinger goes to the Texans with the 57th pick
8:34 pm The Packers filled a need as Alabama’s Eddie Lacy finally heard his name called when Green Bay took him with the next to last pick in the second round (61st overall) Lacy is the 4th RB drafted in the second round
8:37 pm Christine Michael from Texas A&M makes it two SEC RB’s in a row as he’s selected by the Seahawks with the last pick in the second round. (62nd overall)
Round 2 Notes
- 8 SEC players taken in the second round
- After 0 RBs going in the first round, 5 go in the second round
- Only 1 offensive lineman taken in second round (9 went in the first round)
- Geno Smith becomes 2nd QB taken (Jets)
8:43 Travis Kelce, who played under Butch Jones at Cincinnati, drafted by the Chiefs with first pick in the third round
8:46 Another SEC player, Kentucky’s Larry Warford drafted by the Lions (65th overall)
8:52 LSU’s Bennie Logan is drafted with 67th pick by the Eagles
9:00 Former LSU DB Tyrann Matthieu is drafted 69th overall by the Arizona Cardinals
9:17 Baylor WR Terrance Williams is selected 74th overall by the Cowboys. His position coach will be former Vols coach Derek Dooley
9:27 The third former Tennessee Volunteer OL Dallas Thomas is taken by the Miami Dolphins with the 77th overall pick
9:38 Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore is drafted 81st by the Giants and then UGA DE John Jenkins is drafted by the Saints 82nd
9:46 UGA DB Shawn Williams drafted 84th overall by the Bengals
9:51 Florida TE Jordan Reed goes to the Redskins with 85th pick
9:56 Corey Lemonier DE from Auburn goes 88th to the 49ers
10:23 LSU DE Sam Montgomery goes 95th to the Texans
10:26 Knile Davis, RB from Arkansas, is selected 96th overall by the Chiefs
10:29 Zaviar Gooden, the last pick of the day, is another SEC LB and is drafted 97th by the Titans.
Round 3 notes
- 12 SEC players selected in the third round
- 1 QB taken in each round so far
- Rams select Stedman Bailey (also took his WVU teammate Tavon Austin in first round)
12:04 The Day begins with a trade as the Jaguars trade their pick to the Eagles who select USC QB Matt Barkley with the 98th pick
12:11 LB Nico Johnson from Alabama selected with the 99th pick by the Chiefs
12:18 WR Ace Sanders becomes 34th SEC player selected when he’s taken with the 101st pick by the Jaguars
12:27 The Dolphins take LB Jelani Jenkins from Florida
12:53 LB Barrett Jones from Alabama is selected by the Rams
1:07 LB Sean Porter from Texas A&M selected by the Bengals
Thread closed — Check back later for a full draft recap!