9. 2006-07 Sweet Sixteen vs. Ohio State
I feel like I need to apologize for bringing back to awful memories of games back-to-back. However, the Sweet Sixteen matchup against Ohio State deserves to be on the list.
More from All for Tennessee
- How to Win a GUARANTEED $200 Bonus Betting Just $5 on the Vols vs. Florida!
- Tennessee Football at Florida: Five Keys to a Vols Victory
- Week 3 SEC Power Rankings: Did Tennessee Football’s Win Help At All?
- Week 3 AP Polls: Why Did Tennessee Football Drop in the Polls?
- Tennessee Football: Top Five Performers in 30-13 Win vs. Austin Peay
Ohio State was the number one seed in the South Region, and the Vols were the 5th seed. After upsetting the 4th seeded Virginia Cavaliers, Tennessee was fighting against all the odds to take down freshman phenom Greg Oden.
Just like the game above, it ended in heartbreaking fashion for Vol fans. With only seconds to go in the game point guard, Ramar Smith raced down the court with Mike Conley riding his hip.
As they both went up for what was going to be the play to decide the game, Oden came out of nowhere and made sure his Buckeyes won their 20th straight game to advance to the Elite Eight.
It has been over a decade, and yet I will still argue Tennessee had the better team that game and agree with Dane Bradshaw when he says the team didn’t get overconfident.
The Vols most certainly had their chances down the stretch; they just couldn’t capitalize. What makes the loss hurt even more for fans is that game marks the second loss to Ohio State in heartbreaking fashion that season.