No. 5 Memphis Tigers
Number five on our list is the Memphis Tigers. This pick won’t necessarily help the Vols case when it comes to a College Football Playoff breath. I suppose one could make the argument that the Tigers could have helped anyone’s situation last season after a 10-3 record.
More from All for Tennessee
- How to Win a GUARANTEED $200 Bonus Betting Just $5 on the Vols vs. Florida!
- Tennessee Football at Florida: Five Keys to a Vols Victory
- Week 3 SEC Power Rankings: Did Tennessee Football’s Win Help At All?
- Week 3 AP Polls: Why Did Tennessee Football Drop in the Polls?
- Tennessee Football: Top Five Performers in 30-13 Win vs. Austin Peay
Playing Memphis could open the door in recruiting the Memphis area. I’ve always questioned if Memphis is truly a part of the state of Tennessee. It’s a dreadful drive from Knoxville.
It’s not like the Tigers take players from the Vols. However, Tennessee would have more relevance in Memphis playing a yearly game or at least twice every five years.
The Vols and Tigers have played 23 times with Tennessee winning 22 times. It is a current winning streak that stands at seven games. The last time Memphis won was in the 1996 season when they won in a close 21-17 game.
Another reason, having Memphis on the schedule won silence any talk that Tennessee isn’t the best football program in the state. Now, of course, last season if the two teams played, Tennessee probably would have lost.
But, until Memphis can consistently prove they can have nine to ten win seasons, the Vols are still the best in the state, and they could prove it in a home and home series against the Tigers.